I run but I'm not a runner. I fight but I'm not a fighter. I lift weights, but I'm not a weight lifter. I practice yoga but I'm not a yogi. I am not defined by the way in which I move my body. I am defined by the fact that I chose to move my body, the fact that my fitness is a journey and not a destination. We often find ourselves pigeon holed into these identities and unable to move past them when an injury occurs or if we just stop enjoying them. 


For many I know that having a goal, an end point is a hugely motivating factor. There is nothing at all wrong with this. For myself, and others out there, having an end game is not the point. People are always asking me what I'm training for, my answers are often non specific and noncomittal, because really I'm training for my life. I want to be able to move better, faster, stronger and be able to do this pain free forever. Now I know I won't always be pain free, but I know I will always find a way to move.


That is my challenge to anyone thinking about getting "fit" or wanting to get in shape, or be more active. Try things. Try a whole bunch of different movements. Running? Sure. Olympic weightlifting? Why not. Kickboxing class? Do it. Barre classes? Get it. By trying all these different things you may find one (or many) ways of moving you really really like. And then being healthy and active won't feel like so much of a chore. Cross training is a really beautiful thing too, and so beneficial for your body. So if you are for example a runner, try lifting some weights, you'll be amazed how much better your runs feel. Try not to let yourself be pigeon holed by your so called fitness identity and just move.