I started actively going for runs in high school as a way to deal with my anxiety and as a great workout. I love that you can go for a run anywhere, anytime (okay, not anytime, it's -30 here and that's too damn cold) and it's doesn't require a lot of equipment. Autumn is my all-time favourite season to go for a run, it's beautiful, cool out but not unimaginably cold and it's that time of year we start trying to savor every moment spend outdoors.
Some of my tips for runners out there are:
1. A killer playlist, find a beat that you can run to and go for it. For me I run to Florence & the Machine or Frightened Rabbit. That's all. For some season there beats work with my pacing, I find if something's too amped up it screws up my rhythm.
2. Use your butt. A huge problem for most runners I see is that we don't use our glutes while running. Try a banded glute bridge for 3 sets of 10 reps, clamshells 3 sets of 10, and kickbacks 3 sets of 10 before a run to get the glutes fired up.
3.Bring a friend. Whether it's another runner or your dog, employ the buddy system!
4. Find an interesting loop. I love running in the river valley because it's beautiful and there's always something to look at.
5. Use pacing apps. I find it so helpful to know my time for each km, I have a certain pace I want to try to keep.
6. Set a goal! Have an idea (make it realistic) about how long you want to run for, build you way up to longer runs over time.
I've included some tips for before during and after your run from Aaptiv, an audio fitness app that will help improve your 5, 10 or half mile runs.